Thursday 16 December 2010

End of Module Evaluation

At the start of this year, I felt as though I had my rationale down perfectly, all the aspects I wanted to cover were in the briefs I had in mind, all the skills I wanted to work with were included and most importantly I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to be at the end of the year. In hindsight I had probably been a bit over confident.
There are many parts of my original rationale that I haven't seen through or acted upon, which is frustrating but entirely my own fault. The biggest regret is not working with print finishes. Every year, every term I pin point this as something I want to learn about, my knowledge about finishing techniques in minimal, if not non existent. I was determined this term to finally get on with it and I was looking forward to using my new found knowledge in my work. The second problem I had encountered during this module was as ever, self discipline and time management combined with some other things. To begin with I was intent on completing six full briefs and four smaller briefs. I wanted to have my portfolio done by now and I wanted it to be something I could be proud of. In reality I have done four small briefs and can't bring myself to even look at my work let alone put a portfolio together. To say I'm disappointed and angry with myself is a severe understatement. But this happens every time and I say I will turn it around, and sometimes I do for a few weeks or a month then it's back to square one.

The few positives I have gained from the module are brilliant. A summer project which was quite different from what I was used to made me try my hand at a different style of design which I decided to bring into the third year. I'm really glad I did because I like some of the work that I'm producing as a result of that (branding, identity – a lot more digital based work). I had some really great briefs written that I never did which would have helped me develop those skills even more. I still plan to do them, when I don't know.

The four briefs I completed were a good mixture for me to work with all of my preferred skills. Two branding & identity briefs, two illustration/book making/live briefs. I do wish I had made time for one of my packaging briefs, it is something I have a real passion for but don't practice it as a designer. I think in some way I have done many of the things I wanted to do in my original rationale. I have opened up quite a few of the skill areas I intended to, I have three final resolutions which I like and I have had some good experience being involved in two book fairs, making contacts with potential employees, making relationships with a few young designers around the world and setting up my own website.
I have accomplished almost everything I set out to – I've just not done enough of it, and I mean that in every way possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment