Monday 18 January 2010

PROGRESS TUTORIAL PREPARATION 18-01-10

1. Name strengths that you have developed during Level 5.

In terms of new skills there are a few which have been really valuable, such as learning how to work with motion graphics and getting to grips with print production. I value these new skills because before these modules I had little interest in the technicalities of how something was printed or how motion graphics are put together, now with a basic grasp of both I feel like better and more educated designer because of it. I can't say I enjoyed every second of it, but it's all part of learning and I'm really pleased I did it. 
There are some skills which have been evolving through this year, I think I'm becoming much better at organizing myself and my work, knowing what needs to be done and when. Which seems like such a small thing but lack of organization has been my downfall in previous terms so in the bigger picture I think it's an important skill to get right.


2. Weaknesses that you have identified during Level 5.


So far this year has had a large chunk dedicated to finding out who I am as a designer, so every aspect of my work, how I work and myself have been under scrutiny. During this process of investigating, I've learnt a lot. Probably a little too late though. Over the past few months I have tackled my workload the wrong way which has lead to many problems. For example, when I was given a task or brief I didn't understand or know how to complete, instead of talking about it and being willing to learn I would just push it to the back of my mind which ultimately would lead to a lot of unnecessary stress. Thankfully I can now identify these problems and address them in a suitable way. I now feel in control of how I work and fully capable of anything a module will have to throw at me. Positive thinking had been my hardest weakness to conquer so far.
Current weaknesses seem to be smaller, more trivial problems like getting used to new software and finding inspiration for briefs which aren't where my main interests as a designer are. These things are small and easily resolve so I'm not particularly worried about them. I imagine for the most part they are just things which come naturally if you put in the time and dedication. 


3. Issues that you want to discuss with regards to your current progress.


Currently, I am pushed to think of any outstanding issues. I'm not saying all is perfect but things are definitely up after being down for a while. The only two things I am having a slight struggle with are Enterprise and CTS, mainly because I just don't give myself enough time to think about them and prepare the tasks so they get pushed aside, but I'm aware of this and am trying to sort it out by planning my time more effectively. 

No comments:

Post a Comment